Cannabidiol, known widely as CBD, is confusing stuff. But, anecdotally, it’s proving effective at fighting inflammation for athletes and active people in general. So here’s what you should know if you want to try it.
The folks at cbdMD shared their time to answer some of our most pressing questions about what CBD is, along with what it does and doesn’t do for athletes.
Hemp-derived products have been an important source of food and fiber for over 1,000 years. Although the CBD compound wasn’t discovered until 1940, its beneficial properties are making it a newly desired natural alternative for achieving mental and physical wellness.
When compared to traditional medications, some of which are highly addictive or have long-term side effects, CBD has become very attractive to all types of people, especially athletes and those who prioritize health and physical fitness.
Interested in trying CBD? Head over to cbdMD and use code GEAR for 20 percent off your order!
Editor’s note: The following responses are provided by cbdMD and have not been independently verified by GearJunkie. This is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
1. Is CBD legal in all 50 states?
Yes. The 2018 Farm Bill made hemp and hemp-derived CBD products federally legal in the U.S. for those 18 and older. Hemp has been de-scheduled and permanently removed from the Controlled Substances Act and removed from the jurisdiction of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). Now, U.S. federal law protects the sale of hemp-derived CBD. (“Hemp” is defined as Cannabis sativa, containing no more than 0.3 percent THC, the component of the plant that gets you high.)
2. Are all CBD products THC-free?
In states where cannabis is legal for either medical or recreational use, it’s possible to find CBD products with THC concentrations higher than 0.3 percent, making it important to do your research. All cbdMD products are THC-free.
3. What physically happens when you use CBD? What is the chemistry behind it?
CBD works naturally with your endocannabinoid system (ECS). When introduced to the body, CBD binds to the ECS receptor (CB1 and CB2), which is present throughout the body. Thus, CBD has a wide range of uses.
4. What are common CBD uses for athletes?
Most athletes will use CBD for pain, discomfort, stress, sleeplessness, sore muscles, aches, mental clarity, relaxation, and much more.
5. CBD benefits seem so vast. Can it really be a kind of miracle cure?
Testing and regulation continue to uncover a wide range of CBD applications. All-natural CBD presents many bodily benefits with little or no side effects. People are gravitating toward a more natural approach to health because they’ve seen the results in those around them. If you could achieve improved mental, physical, and emotional well-being through a plant-based extract that’s naturally sourced, wouldn’t you?
6. Are there any peer-reviewed, double-blind studies showing the benefits of CBD oil?
Not many because until last year, CBD was classified by the DEA as a Schedule I drug. (Here are two peer-reviewed studies on CBD and its benefits for seizures.) With the passage of the U.S. 2018 Farm Bill, more research is forthcoming.
7. How is CBD different than, say, ibuprofen?
Rather than simply dulling the symptoms like traditional prescription and OTC painkillers, CBD works naturally with the ECS throughout your body. Another difference is that CBD has no risk for addiction and little if any noticeable side effects.
8. Does rubbing CBD on my sore muscles work?
CBD “topicals” offer concentrated relief for areas of physical discomfort. Rubbing a CBD topical on sore muscles can provide highly targeted relief. Topicals from cbdMD contain premium CBD oil, but also essential oils, amino acids, and other beneficial compounds that help moisturize and invigorate skin.
Here are three favorites:
- CBD Freeze: cbdMD’s Freeze pain relief gel is the preferred topical for professional and recreational athletes across the U.S. It can help alleviate joint pain, stiffness, and muscular tenderness.
- CBD Revive: cbdMD’s topical moisturizing lotion absorbs quickly into the skin and begins to work on contact to help revitalize your skin with high-concentration CBD, all-natural coconut oil, aloe vera, and other essential oils to leave your skin feeling soft and refreshed.
- CBD Recover: Enriched with high concentrations of CBD, arnica, vitamin B6, and MSM, CBD Recover formula targets inflammation caused by nerves, tendons, muscles, and ligaments. It can help with white cell stimulation, inflammatory and arthritic damage, and increased flexibility.
9. How do you know you’re getting a quality CBD product?
CBD is one of the hottest products in the growing cannabis market, but the wealth of options can be exhausting. Find a brand that values quality and transparency in equal measure. For example, cbdMD’s products are extracted from U.S. organically grown hemp on nutrient-rich farms utilizing a unique, hybrid, broad-spectrum manufacturing process to preserve the beneficial terpenes found in hemp. Also, look for a brand that’s willing to publish independent third-party lab results on its website to show consumers what is in each batch of CBD.
10. What are the best-selling CBD products right now?
CBD PM is cbdMD’s best-selling product, a powerful, plant-derived, THC-free sleep aid that combines CBD, melatonin, and other natural ingredients for a restful night’s sleep. CBD PM helps you sleep naturally and wake refreshed.
11. How much and how often should you incorporate CBD into your routine?
It’s different for everyone. Taking CBD is similar to starting a new diet. You can’t expect to lose all the weight after one healthy meal. It takes time. CBD benefits are cumulative, so be patient and consistent to ensure that the potency has time to build up in your system. Daily use is suggested, and dosage will vary for each individual. Allow at least 2 to 3 weeks to see full results. A good rule of thumb is to start with a smaller dose and adjust accordingly.
12. Can CBD be dangerous in any scenario? Can you be allergic to it?
While rare, it is possible to have or develop a hemp allergy. This happens when the chemistry of the plant’s enzymes causes a negative response in certain individuals.
13. If you’re just starting out with CBD, how do you know what to try first?
It depends on the symptoms you’re looking to alleviate first. For a full-body experience, you could try a cbdMD bath bomb, which contains 100 mg of premium CBD, essential oils, and other beneficial ingredients. For things like stress or other discomforts, which can occur suddenly, a fast-acting CBD vape oil can offer the quickest solution. Alternatively, cbdMD’s line of topical products can be just what you need to soothe things like sore muscles and painful joints.
cmbMD is offering GearJunkie readers 20 percent off. Head over to cbdMD and use code GEAR for 20 percent off your order!
from GearJunkie http://bit.ly/2HxfY1I